Monday, September 12, 2011

Late Summer Yardwork

I am on a quest to reduce my load of Yardwork, in order to free up more time for the far more pleasurable act of Gardening. It can be a fine line which separates gardening from yardwork, but I count digging holes and lawn maintenance as work. My husband on the other hand, like most men for some peculiar reason, takes pride in cultivating a pristine lawn. For him it's a hobby, not mere "yardwork". He de-thatched and re-seeded the front lawn yesterday, and is determined to make it Best in Show in the cul-de-sac.


Meanwhile, I dug 12 holes in my Front Entry Garden and embedded "permanent" 1 gal pots, so that I will never have to dig holes there again. I will simply slip pots of Annuals or Bulbs into the embedded containers, ensuring a year-round show of color and interest, and then I can slip them out and replace once the show is finished.


In addition to reducing the amount of hole-digging that I typically do each season, I am also trying to limit the time spent pulling weeds. I planted a group of 5 Ajuga 'Burgundy Glow' under the Crape Myrtle 'Petite Orchid' next to the Garage, and hopefully they will spread into a thick mat to block out the persistent weeds.


With the arrival of the cooler days of late summer, it's such a pleasure to spend time out in the garden tackling projects and making progress!

2 comments:

NikiNick said...

"pots in the ground" lovely idea!

Crystal said...

I stole this idea from GardenGate magazine, and it's brilliant because no more digging holes. Try it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails