Sunday, April 25, 2010

Making Space for Peonies

Last Spring I fell hard for the Peony, acquiring nearly a dozen without giving much thought as to where I would put them. In the end, I planted 3 in my Woodland Side Border near the Redbuds, 1 went in a container for temporary placement, and 8 have now ended up under the Kousa Dogwood sited at the left front corner of my house. Originally the garden bed with the Kousa contained 7 Ilex Crenata Helleri Hollies, but they never did well and so I finally moved them out and edged the border with Variegated Liriope to provide structure. I wish I had a more ideal space for growing Peonies, but so far they do seem to be establishing themselves just fine and to my delighted surprise 2 Peony flowers have just opened! I figure in another couple years, I am really going to have a full-on Peony Show each May.

Peony 'Monsieur Jules Elie'


Peony 'Pink Hawaiian Coral'


Peony Bed under Kousa Dogwood

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails